Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Interviews and Judges

Last I said that I was nominated for the Excellent Teacher award conducted by MOE-AEYCES and last week my principal called me. She told me that I got into the finals and out of so many entries, I was among the top four! Even then I was disinterested and yesterday I had to come down to school to set-up the corners and class. In my head was the thought "Which stupid fool chose me for this?" I was given a briefing by my principal about the interview and observation in class done by the judges and there will be a video recording during the whole procedure. That made me a bit more nervous.

Today was the day...despite all the talk about being calm and not caring but still it made me damn nervous. There were 3 judges, 3 observers and 2 cameraman plus my admin. Nine people looking at ME...and the questions that they asked during the interview made me feel as if I was in Channel NewsAsia. Literally sweating through the interview. Here are some of the questions that they asked me:

1) What do you think of our current kindergarten curriculum? Do you think there is any improvement from before and now?

2) What is your aspiration for the kindergarten centres in Singapore? (I was going to blurt out 'higher pay and better bonus for the teachers', kept my tongue though because of those MOE people..)

3) What is your biggest constribution to your centre? (This one I stared for a while and said "I dont know" much to their amusement. Then I started to rattle on about some other school project that was done donkey years before but I took part in)

4) What improvements can you see of the kindergarten curriculum before, now and in the future?

5) What can you see about today's parents and how do they contribute to your centre? How do you make them involve in your activities? (In my head I said 'through pleading, begging and an increase in my handphone bill'...)

Well, at least these are what I can remember, most of it is a blur to me....God knows how relief I was when it was all finished. At least they said that among the others they visited, my set-up was very impressive. (Tak taulah if this is a way to encourage me or what.) My principal said that if I ever got the award, I can stand to win cash gift, sponsorships for courses, an overseas exchange program, etc...
Yeah right, the way I rattle on during the interviews with blank looks and stupid even ridiculous answers, it will be a wonder if I ever win it. Its good enough some stupid fool get me into the top four, it will be an even dumber fool who let me win. At least, I can get some sleep now.....takut sampai tak leh tidur!

No comments: