Friday, February 13, 2009

Mentoring For Sucess





Just reading the title, you probably guess what's its about. Went for the course during the last three days from Tuesday to Thursday. Kind of relaxing coz that meant that I didnt go to class, had the course at Grange Road MOE Teacher's Network or something...

They invited award receipients from year 2007-2008 for the course and at first I was very intimidated by all the 'stars' since I was alone, so very alone...but amazingly, I managed to make friends with nearly everybody there even got to befriend the lecturers. Dr Christina Chen and Siew Hong, lecturers with AECES were very helpful and I was like so amazed at how fast we broke the ice in the class.

Throughout the whole of 3 days, we joked, discussed, share personal thoughts and experiences plus we share ideas about work too. Got to know a few 'big-shots' like principals, admins of other kindergarten centres and we exchanged e-mails and contact numbers to set up a networking kind of thing.

We were trained to be mentors to teachers and they are 'grooming' us to be mentors for new poly/degree graduates, work and study attachment. After the course however, we had to do our own practicum at work, selecting a mentee and then preparing a report to hand in by April...and this is the scary part. Had chosen who my mentee would be but unfortunately, I dont think she is very cooperative and keen about it... very awkward to begin with but on the positive side, I take it as a challenge and God knows how I like to take risks (no matter how stupid it seems at times)....

No comments: