Tuesday, August 19, 2008

National Day Rally Speech 2008

Everyone had probably seen our PM Lee Hsien Loong speech last night. A few things caught my eye (or ears actually!) especially about the baby bonus thingy. Hurray for the fact that the leave will be extended from 12 weeks to 16 weeks and hurray for other incentives that are provided such as one week unpaid leave for infant care. But my concern is when will all this be effective? I mean he did mentioned that another minister Wong Kan Seng will probably make the official announcement and the details by this week. Then I can e-mail my admin and take the extra 4 weeks.
So far here is what I know and more interested in :
Growth dividends : 50% more in second payout in October. Means be getting between $75 to $150 extra. (can plan holiday!)
Maternity Leave : Extended to Four months (16 weeks)
Infant care leave : Oone week unpaid leave a year until the child turns two
Child care leave : Extended to 6 days per year for child younger than 7
Baby bonus : Bigger cash grant for new mums (then how about me? considered as 'old mum' is it?)
If you ask me, yeah I want more kids, probably a whole soccer team but practically and realistically, everything is so expensive. Its a long-term commitment, lots of financial planning from the time you got pregnant all the way to the kids adulthood. So for now, just two is okay for us. Maybe number three when both kids are in primary school (just to see if I can get a baby girl).
Probably the reason why I'm working in kindergarten is being surrounded by kids. Its like your own (even though they are other people's) but still they are yours for that 4 hours. Can play games, toys, sing and dance with them and watch how fast (or slow) they learn and grow. How you want to strangle them at times but hug and kiss them too, love kids but just having two of my own is good enough for me...

No comments: